Monday, March 25, 2024

What They Say About Golf



  • I regard golf as an expensive way of playing marbles.” G. K. Chesterton


  • Golf is a good walk spoiled.” Mark Twain


  • I don't want to play golf. When I hit the ball, I want someone else to go chase it.” Rogers Hornsby (baseball player)


  • It's not hard to keep your ball in the fairway, so long as you're not picky about which fairway.” Unknown


  • The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he's worse, he's neglecting his golf.” St. Andrews Rotary Club Member


  • They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.” Gardner Dickinson


  • If you drink, don't drive. Don't even putt.” Dean Martin


  • They call it golf because all the other four-letter words were taken.” Raymond Floyd


  • Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.” Dave Berry


  • Sex and golf are two things you can enjoy even if you're not good at them.” Kevin Costner


  • Golf is a game in which you yell fore, shoot six, and write down five.” Paul Harvey


  • If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death.” Sam Snead


  • I know I'm getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators.” Gerald R. Ford


  • Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well.” Craig Stadler

  • It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. It took one afternoon on the golf course.” Hank Aaron


  • If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.” Jack Lemmon


  • Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.” Winston Churchill


  • I have a tip that will take five strokes off anyone's golf game. It's called an eraser.” Arnold Palmer

  • Golf is like chasing a quinine pill around a cow pasture.” Winston Churchill


  • Golf, like measles, should be caught young, for if postponed to riper years, the results may be serious.” P G Wodehouse


  • It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.” Mark Twain.


  • Golf gives you insight into human nature, your own as well as your opponent's. Grantland Rice


  • My golf partner said I should yell “fore” before hitting the ball, not “twelve.” Actually, I was being overly optimistic that I'd get that infernal ball into the hole in twelve shots!

 

4 comments:

  1. I prefer bowling over golf. I only lose one or two bowling balls per game! LOL !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mark Twain that golf is a good walk ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to play golf but it can become an expensive hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially liked the quote from Dean Martin.

    ReplyDelete